Thursday 2 August 2012

Squirrel Storage




























SCENE 1
EXT MORNING  employment office window, a young woman called EMMA BRENNER browsing the jobs in the window, looks closely at a job saying “Storage facility maintenance, 10 pm – 6 am, £15 pound an hour, must have strong mental constitution” she smiles and walks indoors and takes the card out of the window.
SCENE 2
INT MORNING inside the employment office, EMMA walks to an office where a fussy looking man sat at an old office desk is looking nervous. EMMA stands at the table
EMMA
Hi I was told to talk to you about the storage job?

ADVISOR
What?! You want that job?

EMMA
Urmh, Yes?

ADVISOR
Well I suppose you’d better sit down then

EMMA pauses, looking at the office chair warily, but then sits down

EMMA
Long day?

ADVISOR
Yes! What’s that got to do with it?  Pause I’m sorry I’m a little stressed, it’s just this job.

EMMA
I thought working here you’d be able to find a better job!

ADVISOR
What? No no, this job is fine; I’m talking about the one your applying for

EMMA
Really? What’s wrong with it?

The ADVISOR takes a deep breath to speak then pauses, and starts to shake his head smiling, while his eyebrow twitches

ADVISOR
Nothing! Nothing, it just has a high drop out rate, that’s all, lots of people can’t take working nights. I know I can’t! Repeats under his breath I know I can’t....

EMMA
Well, ok, it seems like a good job...

ADVISOR
Yes! It is, easy work, all you do is watch a storage facility, nothing expensive there, and you can just read the paper!

EMMA
Are you sure it doesn’t require anything else?

ADVISOR
No no.... pause no it’s fine. When can you start?

EMMA
Don’t you want to know my qualifications?
 The ADVISOR pauses again and nods slowly, he is sweating

ADVISOR
Yes! Yes I do, what qualifications do you have?

EMMA
Well I have a B in socio-

The ADIVSOR cuts her off

ADVISOR
Good enough! Can you start you start tonight?

EMMA
Well I suppose I can

ADVISOR
Good! I hope you... I hope you do well!

ADVISOR hands her a leaflet of information and walks away hurriedly

SCENE 3
EXT 10PM an elderly looking man called MIKE is standing outside a large warehouse with large doors big enough for an aeroplane to fit through. On the front of the building in large blue letters it says SQUIRREL STORAGE with a blue logo of a squirrel. MIKE is wearing a uniform; leaning on a cane and is standing next to an opening in the large doors just big enough for a person to fit through. EMMA walks towards him


MIKE
‘Ello! You must be the girl sent by the job offie!

EMMA
Yes! Hello I’m Emma, I’m sorry but I wasn’t told much at the job office.

MIKE
Well it’s easy, you just make sure nothing interrupts the computers; the squirrels stay in sleep mode and call the numbers on the list in case anyone tries to break in.

EMMA
I’m sorry but what? Squirrels?

MIKE
Doesn’t the title really give you a clue? Squirrel storage, this is where we store the nation’s squirrel supply

EMMA
Erm, this may seem like a stupid question, but why?

MIKE
Exasperatedly I don’t have much time to explain this, but when grey squirrels came into Britain, they out-bred and killed off all the red squirrels, and then very quickly, killed themselves off too. They’re thick see?

EMMA
Erm...

MIKE
Squirrels are vital to the environment of the world, not just Britain, it’s very simple, and anyone could understand it. I don’t, but I’m sure you could.

EMMA
But?!

MIKE
Just watch them! It’s easy I’ve been doing it for ten years and look at me! I’m fine!

EMMA
Hesitantly Alright... I’ll give it a try PAUSE  I’m not wearing a uniform; I guess I’ll get it at sometime right?

MIKE
Don’t worry about it, you’ll be the only one here anyway, no one will notice!

EMMA
Oh, WAIT! What?!

MIKE
My shift’s over luv! I’m off to town to get blitzed, I’ll be thirty soon, can’t do all nighters long after that!

MIKE steps away with his cane
EMMA
Wait! What do I do if something goes wrong?

MIKE  turns to EMMA
MIKE
Just call the number on the side and follow the instructions they give you!

MIKE leaves EMMA by herself and she hesitantly walks inside.

SCENE 4
EMMA  walks inside the cavernous storage room and she is confront with row after thousands of rows of squirrels hanging upside down on hooks by their tales, all rigid and in the same position, to her right is a set of metal stairs that lead up to a square observatory office with chairs, monitors, computer screens, a newspaper and a tea and coffee machine. EMMA walks up the stairs and slowly sits

EMMA
Well this could be interesting...

Title on the screen TEN MINUTES LATER

EMMA
Boring... boring..... bored

EMMA puts her feet up on the edge of the console, and promptly knocks over a cold cup of tea onto and she gives and shrill gasp of fright, she stands and starts to mop up the tea with the bottom of her shirt when she notices to red dots of light coming from the warehouse, then four, then 6 then 10 and so on until she is confronted with thousands of red little dots of red light which dim and turn out to be the eyes of thousands of squirrels looking at her.

EMMA
Very quietly Fuck...

The squirrels pour out of the warehouse in one mass movement, in less than half a minute the entire place is devoid of squirrels. EMMA turns to the list and slowly picks of the phone
EMMA
Umh, Hi, All the squirrels got out?

No comments: